SAYS NO to Violence
Some photos of the local Zonta Victoria projects
Did you know.... in the year 2000, Zonta International awarded the Zonta Club of Victoria $26,000 to seed Rock Solid? It was part of the Zonta International Strategies to Eliminate Violence Against Women. Zonta Club of Victoria was one of 11 recipients around the world!
Approximately one-third of the locally raised funds support Zonta International’s projects
In addition to this, the Zonta Club of Victoria…
SAYS YES to Education and Awards
• Pearson College: The club funds an endowment fund to support a female student from Colombia or Eastern Bloc pursuing the International Baccalaureate programme at Lester B Pearson United World College of the Pacific. Traditionally, too, some of the “Warm Up Vancouver Island” blankets mentioned below are presented to students as a welcome when they first arrive.
• Camosun College: As a tribute to the first president of the Zonta Club of Victoria, the club supports a Phoebe Noble Bursary for horticulture. Phoebe herself had been a mathematics professor until her retirement, after which she studied horticulture and cultivated the Phoebe Noble hardy geranium. In addition, the club funds an endowment to provide a bursary for education for a woman returning to work force.
• Royal Roads University: The club funds a bursary for Environmental Studies
• Victoria College of Art: A fitting tribute to the charter member who is still active in the Victoria club, is a bursary for Fine Arts studies. The member in question is Pat Martin Bates.
• Young Women in Public Affairs: Each year, high school students complete an intricate application form including several essays, in order to compete for one of two cash awards. The first place contender proceeds to compete at the District (and possibly International) level.
SAYS YES to Health and Welfare